The dictionary defines sleep as the way to "rest by suspension of exercise and powers of the body and mind." Sleep is the state in which the conscious mind stops functioning and the entire nervous system takes a "slow down" attitude. During sleep, the body rests and repairs itself.
There are two broad phases of sleep i.e., the slow - wave sleep and the dream sleep.
The former phase is a slow-wave sleep wherein the entire system relaxes and adopts a "slow-down" attitude. The latter phase is the dream sleep phase. Wherein your dreams have an indirect connection to the emotional state of your mind bringing to fore all bottled up tension.
During dreams, your muscles are said to be relaxed, however, it must be noted that your breathing and pulse rates tend to be much more rapid and irregular. Basically, getting your eight hours of sleep is considered normal. However, as you grow older, you may require about five to six hour of sleep.
Beauty and sleep are co-related. Lack of beauty sleep triggers off blotchy skin, lustreless hair, dull tired eyes, illness, headaches, sluggish body functions and insomnia. Insomnia is the difficulty in falling asleep or sleeping soundly. Insomnia causes degeneration in the body. The need for sleep varies from individual to individual and it tends to decline as you grow older.
Insomnia cannot be cured with tranquilizers and traditional ways of catching sleep fail miserably. Insomnia is associated with the anxiety and tension of the individual comined with self perpetuated tension of sleeplessness.
1. Stuffy, heated rooms retard sleep.
2. Set aside a time and get to bed at the appointed hour every night till it forms a habit with you.
3. Avoid stimulants like alcohol and caffeine before bed time.
4. Use a good mattress with uniform softness.
5. Avoid too many pillows.
6. Never use tranquilizers to induce sleep.
7. Have a warm pre-bed bath as it helps to actuate sleep.
8. Relax for an hour before bed time. Try flipping through a light magazine.
9. Drink a glass of warm milk to induce sleep.
10. Alternatively, you may like to try Peter Rabbitaposs' secret to induce sound sleep. Take 1 litre of water, add lettuce leaves and boil well. Allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes.
Fashion 'n' Style
Copyrighted © 2004-09 by Khola-Janala